Re: Continued problems booting Debian on oldworld G3

Chris Tillman <tillman@azstarnet.com> writes:

> After an inspirational look at the boot-floppies todo list, I think I
> found the answer. At
>
> www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html
>
> there are comments about your machine, the main one being that you
> need System Disk to update your broken firmware. I'll add this to the
> docs somewhere.

The saga continues :)

I setup my machine as follows : Booted OS9 and ran the disk tools. I
created a 2 gig linux partition, then a 1.8 gig Macintosh extended
partition and a 3.7 gig Macintosh extended partition. I installed
OS9.2 to the 1.8 gig partition labeled untitled 2.

Next, I installed OSX and upgraded to 10.1 on untitled 3. After this,
I set the startup disk to be the disk with OS9.2 on it and booted into
OS9.2.

After unpacking and installing it, I ran system disk and set
everything as they advised except for the boot-file option. I'm at a
loss for this option. I hit the save button which according to the
docs will apply nvram patches.

The machine now stops at the OpenFirmware menu and does not boot
anything by default. The startup banner says
Open Firmware, 2.0f1

I then booted off of the woody disks and installed from the
internet. Towards the end of the install, when presented with the
option I chose to make Debian bootable.

An attempt to boot from OpenFirmware doing boot just produces
0 > boot  can't OPEN:

My partition table looks mostly as follows. I'm tying this, so please excuse
formatting and typos.

Command (? for help): p
/dev/hda                     type name               length    base
 (size)    system
        #
dump: name /dev/hda len 8
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                   63 @ 1
  (31.5k)  Partition map

/dev/hda2        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh               54 @ 64
  (27.0k)  Unknown

/dev/hda3        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh               74 @ 118
   (37.0k) Unknown

/dev/hda4      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh              512 @ 192
  (256.0k) Unknown

/dev/hda5           Apple_Patches Patch Partition        512 @ 704
  (256.0k) Unknown

/dev/hda6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Home file system    4096000 @ 1216
   (2.0G)  Linux native

/dev/hda7               Apple_HFS untitled 2     3686400 @ 4097216
   (1.8G)  HFS

/dev/hda8               Apple_HFS untitled 3     7782400 @ 7783616
   (3.7G)  HFS

/dev/hda9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap            524288 @ 15566016
 (256.0M)  Linux swap

/dev/hda10        Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home          8388608 @ 16090304
   (4.0G)  Linux Native

/dev/hda11            Apple_Free                28698128 @ 24478912
  (13.7G)  Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=53177040
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 21, type=0x701
2: @ 118 for 34, type=0xf8ff

As you can see from this, the Linux partition now comes before any
apple partitions on the disk. Booting debian, mounting the disk and
running quik no longer produces the warning about a previous partition
being bootable.

I'm getting very desparate here :( Any further advice (up to and
including give it up - its never going to work) would be greatly
appreciated here.

--
- Wayne Pascoe
wayne@penguinpowered.org.uk      |