updatedb+checksecurity are killing my battery

Hi,

I am trying to minimize the power consumption of my laptop when I take it on the road (well, more precisely, the coffee shop.)

Here are a couple of changes I made in order to ease up the hard disk usage:

The cron standard daily and standard maintenance task is running two scripts that are taking half an hour off the battery life right away. The first one is updatedb which I moved from daily to weekly. The second one is checksecurity. I gave an extremely narrow search path both scripts. Not only these scripts kill the battery, it looks like they may also just kill the hard disk itself by running so much activity.

Regarding updatedb, I can live without having an up-to-the-minute updated locate command. Regarding checksecurity, I am not sure how it can really hurt when I am disconnected anyway.

The other thing I did was desactivating the xscreensaver pretty plugins and just use the 'turn off screen' option from the APM instead.

End result: I get longer battery life. However, there is probably something I missed that could help more in this direction. I would appreciate if people on the list could post more hints in order to get more juice off the hook. Thanks in advance,

LdS