Re: installing debian on ppc

"Wicher W.O. Deddens" <deddens@lno.nl> writes:

> I'm trying to install Debian on a PPC 8500/150, 96 Mb, 2 Gb HD for
> Webserving and Mailserving purposes. I downloaded CD1 for PowerPC, wrote
> it to a bootable disk

What do you mean you wrote the CD to a bootable disk?  Do you mean a
hard drive, or a Zip drive, or something else?

> (which is bootable on a G4 with Yaboot, but not on the 8500), made a
> boot floppy and a root.bin floppy, made partitions according the
> example in the manual: a 500 mb other system (MacOS 8.1, but not
> installed yet), a 32 Mb Swap and the rest as a Linux partition.
> After booting the system on the floppies I get the Installation Main
> Menu (text oriented), but CD1 doesn't mount and I don't get any
> further.

Hmmm.  What was the error message?  Did the kernel even detect your
CDROM drive (you probably wouldn't have been offered the choice to use
a CD if it didn't)?  Did it say the CD was invalid?  Something else?