Installation on a Cube

I'm trying to get Debian up and running on a Cube.  So far I've been
unable to find an installation system which will run on the machine.

With both potato and current woody installers I find that the kernel
doesn't succeed in displaying anything on the framebuffer which makes
the installer kind of hard to use.  If I take a woody installer and
replace the kernel with one built from benh's rsync tree I get a visible
console and the installer runs but denies the existence of the hard
disk.  The kernel is able to see the disk quite happily and if I exit to
a shell I can run mac-fdisk and mkfs successfully.

Any suggestions?  If there's any more diagnostic information that would
be useful I'd be happy to provide this.