Re: Mac aliases under linux

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 06:56:54PM -0800, Grant Bowman wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> In my first search, I am unable to find any tools that will show me the
> data contained in a Macintosh alias using Linux commands.  Also, how
> does the kernel module deal with resource and data forks?  Any
> suggestions or clarifications would be most appreciated.  If this is a
> FAQ, just a pointer to a resource that clearly explains how these
> technologies work together would be most appreciated.

The aliases' information is contained in their resource fork, their
data forks are empty. I looked in hfsutils and macutils, i don't see
any utilities for interpreting resource forks. macutils is just
concerned with archiving and de-archiving, so mentions how resource
forks can be preserved in an archive, that's about it.

The short answer, is the kernel module doesn't even know resource
forks are there. There has been no effort along those lines AFAIK,
unless maybe it's in Darwin.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |