Kernel 2.4 - serial/internal modem problem

Hello, I have been having a hard time getting my internal modem to work on
my PowerBook (G3, Pismo) with the 2.4 kernel.  (Actually the 2.4.10-12a
kernel in particular).  No matter what I try, I can't seem to get it to
work, however, there was no problem with it in the 2.2 kernel.  After
reading some previous post's suggestions, I recompiled the kernel, making
sure that Support for PowerMac serial ports was compiled into the kernel and
that "Standard/generic serial support" in the character devices section was
disabled.  The results were still exactly the same.  I also tried changing
the ATZ line in my communication programs to ATX1 as suggested in some
(wvdial, kppp, or even just ppp scripts using chat)

Here is what I get when I type "dmesg | grep tty":

ttyS0 at 0xcd8ea020 (irq = 22) is a Z8530 ESCC (cobalt modem)
ttyS1 at 0xcd8f1000 (irq = 23) is a Z8530 ESCC (IrDA)

Also, here is the output when I type "wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf" to try
and set up the modem automatically.  (The part after the line that starts
with 'ttyS1' where its says 'irda_setup timed out on 1st byte' three times
seems suspicious.)

#>wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
irda_setup timed out on 1st byte
irda_setup timed out on 1st byte
irda_setup timed out on 1st byte
ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
irda_setup timed out on 1st byte
Port Scan<*1>: S2   S3   S4  S5   S6   S7   S8   S9
Port Scan<*1>: S10  S11  S12 S13  S14  S15  S16  S17
Port Scan<*1>: SR283 SR284 SR285 SR286 SR287

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Any insight into what could be wrong would be appreciated.  I would really
like to use the 2.4 kernel so I can have my powerbook go to sleep when I
close it and also for accelerated 3d graphics.  But those two don't outweigh
being able to connect to the internet at home.(Networking works fine when
plugged into the network at work by the way).

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Carney
OSU Reading Recovery