Re: installation success using 3.0.16 on iBook Dual USB / HOWTO

> I still have the kernel.  If I boot to MacOSX and
>   "cat linux | strings | grep version"
> then the output starts:
>
> Linux version 2.2.19-pmac (root@voltare) (gcc version 2.95.4 20010810
> Debian prerelease)) #1 Sun Oct 21 13:45:25 EDT 2001

Thanks; that ought to be quite similar to my 2.2.18pre18.

> > I've experimented with mac-fdisk a bit and cannot reproduce this
> > problem on my Lombard (even taking out all the sleep()s and sync()s).
>
> I don't know I described this completely, but the sequence is: open
> mac-fdisk, delete placeholder partition, create various linux
> partitions, press "w" to write your partition, then press "q" to quit,
> and then you get the kernel panic message.

Well, I start mac-fdisk, create partitions or delete them at whim, write,
quit and no panic. Are you sure mac-fdisk is what causes the panic then?
It might as well be busybox trying to update the partition info.

> > I can only test this with a ZIP disk. Haven't tried with the ZIP
> > mounted while poking in the partition table yet.
>
> Have you tried partitioning the disk with the Apple Drive Tool first?
> Maybe the 8 strange MacOS partitions have something to do witth it?

Nope, haven't tried that. Not sure Drive Setup will even touch the Zip,
but I should perhaps get a SCSI boat anchor connected to play around with.

> At any rate, I'm extremely rteluctant to mess with mine any further,
> having ruined it all twice.

I'm not asking you to trash another disk. I'll start playing with the
installer itself as soon as that boat anchor has completed formatting. Any
day now ...

	Michael