Re: Unable to boot Potato from Pismo HD

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 02:21:46PM +0100, Mark Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Subject says it all.
>
> Hardware: Powerbook G3 (Pismo) 400/320
>
> Software: Official Debian Potato CDs / MacOS X
>
> Have partitioned HD as per instructions:
>
> 800 KB Apple_Bootstrap partition at hda2
>
> 320 MB Linux swap partition on hda
>
> 2.0 GB LInux partition on hda
>
> (also have an Apple partition map at hda1, a MacOS X partition and Apple
> Disk Driver partitions)
>
> When booting from the Potato CD, everything works fine right through the
> set-up, including the "make Debian bootable from HD" step. I assume

rtfm.  that step only works on WOODY.  its *BROKEN* and *USELESS* on potato.

> therefore, that the necessary boot files are getting written to the
> bootstrap partition but I have no idea how to check this. Anyway...

wrong. potato's make bootable step is BOGUS.  it did NOTHING of any
use for a newworld system.

> I always get one of two types of error. Either "cannot open partition"
> or "invalid command"

rtfm it explains how to make potato bootable.  or better reinstall
with current woody boot-floppies where this step works properly.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/