Re: Recent PPC Reiser support & Reiser strategy

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 07:27:45PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 03:03, Jean-Francois Landry wrote:
> > Sure it wasn't the drive? The controller?
>
> Nope, they're both still working fine, both in Linux with ext3 and in
> MockOS.

Alright.

> > Cosmic rays flipping bits in your (non-ECC) RAM?
>
> Not impossible I guess, but even then a filesystem shouldn't alter
> meta-data on disk such that it doesn't find any files anymore, should
> it?

Not impossible, but should not happen in normal operations...
What did reiserfsck say about that?

> > Oh, you do stick with your regular backup schedule, do you? This is
> > computing after all :)
>
> The internet is my backup. ;) Of course I make backups of my really
> important data, but that's not the point - backups are for recovery of
> bad crashes or disk failures, not for the filesystem crapping out in the
> middle of normal operation. That's simply unacceptable.

Indeed, but since I've yet to experience such a catastrophic failure,
I'll just continue liking Reiserfs. Not that I dislike other
filesystems, I also really like XFS. But then I don't think the Linux
port is quite stable enough yet to trust it for my /home. Just remember:

All software sucks. All hardware sucks. Down, not across.

Guess it boils down to: It Works For Me(tm), It Doesn't For You(tm).
Since this thread seems to be going nowhere, I'll just advice everyone
on the list to stress test their environment before storing important
data on (possibly horribly b0rken) storage subsystems/filesystems.

Have a nice day and thanks for the input :)
	Jean-Francois Landry
--
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight --
 it took over ten years of careful development."