boot-floppies 3.0.16 + kernel 2.4.12-ben0 = success + bugs

After much fiddling around, I managed to make the 2.4.12-ben0 kernel
work with the root.bin from boot-floppies. I had no idea that would
actually work. I had to build the partition table, initialize and
mount the drives, configure the network, and write yaboot.conf from a
shell, but I now have woody installed on my Cube. Airport's working,
the GMAC Ethernet appears to be working fine, and almost everything
else I care about is functional. Hallelujah!

If you're curious about the grisly details, go to

http://thalia.aoaioxxysz.net/new-thalia-install-log.txt

and laugh at my feebleness if you must.

Speaking of laughter, I have a problem with which I hope one or more
of you can help me. Due to the insanely cheap prices of memory, I
picked up 3 512MB PC133 CAS2 DIMMS for the Cube. MacOS has no problem
with them, and I get a warm and fuzzy feeling from seeing "Largest
Unused Block: 1.41GB" in the 'About This Macintosh' dialog. However,
I've now nuked MacOS from the drive (fanless server!) and this this is
what the top of dmesg has to say:

Total memory = 768MB; using 2048kB for hash table (at c0400000)
Linux version 2.4.12-powerpc (root@voltaire) (gcc version 2.95.4 20010810 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Sun Oct 14 15:08:09 EDT 2001

I find this odd, because /proc/cpuinfo reports:

processor       : 0
cpu             : 7400, altivec supported
temperature     : 27-29 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 450MHz
revision        : 2.9 (pvr 000c 0209)
bogomips        : 894.56
zero pages      : total: 0 (0Kb) current: 0 (0Kb) hits: 0/0 (0%)
machine	        : PowerMac5,1
motherboard     : PowerMac5,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
L2 cache        : 1024K unified
memory	        : 1536MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

I'm clever enough to be dumb, so here's my /etc/yaboot.conf:

boot=/dev/hda2
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
device=hd:
partition=5
timeout=50
init-message="::AOAIOXXYSZ:: Network Host boot"
root=/dev/hda5
read-only
default=linux-2-4-12

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.12-powerpc
       label=linux-2-4-12
       append="video=aty128fb idebus=66 mem=1536M"

So where's the other half of my RAM? On a side note, is it really true
that swapfiles can only be 2GB? And does that 'idebus=66' do anything
except satisfy my more compulsive urges?

I know that the amount of RAM in the Cube is truly ridiculous, but I
also know that this sort of memory configuration will work just fine
in the x86 world. What have I overlooked here? Have I outsmarted
myself? Is there another forum I should be posting to or searching to
get the answer to this question?

Forrest

--
       . . . the self-reflecting image of a narcotized mind . . .
ozymandias G desiderata     ogd@aoaioxxysz.net     desperate, deathless