Re: and an insomniac pismo (with 2.4.14-pre5-ben0)

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:36:21PM +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:
> All
>
> I upgraded from 2.4.9-benh0 which I have been running for a while now, to
> 2.4.14-pre5-ben0 this morning. All seemed fine all day at work, however my
> laptop was sitting on my desk, open and awake most of the time.
>
> I left it asleep for 2 hours when I went mountain biking, then came back and
> picked it up from the office, at the time I opened it andd grabbed
> email. Nothing seemed amiss. I closed the lid and it went to sleep, I put it
> in my laptop backpack and rode home.
>
> About half an hour ago I suddenly hear this noise like a computer fan dieing,
> as I have never heard it before I assumed at first it was coming from outside
> somewhere, within a minute I had decided otherwise and got up to look for the
> noise, it came from my laptop backpack, I then pulled the laptop out and it
> was almost too hot to hold, it was definitely awake (backlight on), I open the
> lid and find the X session, but it wont respond to anything and was basically
> unusable, I hit the reset keys (command+alt+power) and that worked.

just as likly as anything it woke itself due to be jostled, this used
to happen to me with my old PowerBook 540c, i would out it to sleep
and pack it away in my bag and later on i would find it fully awake,
rather hot (though the old 68k machines didn't get very hot at all,
even under such poor circumstances), and usually crashed.

this was under MacOS, as this was before my conversion to *nix,
besides the fact that the 540c seems is completly immune to all forms
of *nix assimilation.

my point is that putting a laptop to sleep instead of shutting it down
entirely when transporting it is not a good idea IMO and IME.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/