Re: X-Window on an iMac 2001

On Fri, 2001-10-26 at 14:38, Roland Wegmann wrote:

> I try to install and run X-Window (package x-window-system 4.1.0-6
> (testing) and package xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-6 (testing)) but without
> success. I suppose that there is a video driver problem, because I
> found an email (30 Sep 2000, Xpert archive) and it gave me the hint
> that ATI Rage 128 PR is not supported (OK, it's an ancient email but
> ...).

No but. That was before 4.0.2 so there have been three major releases
since then.

> Then I found some additional information on the YellowDog Homepage. They say
> that an iMac 2001 with an ATI Rage 128 Ultra video card does not work with
> the driver 'ati', but "the 'fbdev' driver works just fine". So I switched
> from 'ati' to 'fbdev', adapt BusID to 'BusID:0:10:0'. Now, the message
> 'fatal error' did not appear anymore, but X-Window did not run either (I
> only got a black screen). I had to run another console in order to use the
> command 'shutdown ...'.

That was probably because the bus ID was wrong. lspci prints hex numbers
but the X server wants decimal.

> If I adapt BusID to 'BusID:0:16:0' (still using 'fbdev'), I get the message:
> Symbol fbPicture Init from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.0
> is unresolved
> fatal server error
> caught signal11 server aborting
>
> What does 'unresolved' mean?

Those messages can usually be considered warnings and ignored. Can't
tell for sure in this case though, please put up the X server log
somewhere or send it to me privately.

> Is there a driver for a ATI Rage 128 PR, today?

What happens if you try the ati driver with the correct bus ID? Even if
it really doesn't recognize the chip, you should be able to get it
working by overriding the ChipID, I don't know what ID you'd have to use
though.