Re: Advice on a iBook ... [OT - TiBook recommendation because you asked for it]

On 16 Oct 2001, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Even with Linux, the choice isn't so hard, with a growing amount of
> software supporting Altivec. In particular, watching DVDs is certainly
> much more of a pleasure on a TiBook now than it will probably ever be on
> a G3 Notebook.

Are there any asm optimizations that can be done for speeding up MPEG-2
decoding on a G3? Or is Altivec (and therefore a G4 PowerBook) the only
answer? Where's the big performance optimization on MacOS for DVD
playback? Is it using the ATI chips' hardware iDCT capability, or asm
optimization, or something else?

> Also, in contrast to e.g. the sound problems with an iBook2, pretty much
> all of the TiBook's hardware is well supported.

Well, I am using a FireWire iBook, and just about everything works with it
now (FireWire doesn't, and DRI is unstable, but everything else - sound
after sleep, volume control, etc. - is working). Of course, it doesn't
have a DVD-ROM drive.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN