trouble installing on a mac

I'm trying to install on a Mac 8500 using the instructions on this page:

http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/pmac

but I have a couple of problems.

When I come to the step where I install the kernel and modules, I have
it search my HFS disk looking for the directory that's got the needed
files.  But it's looking for rescue.bin and driver.bin; what I have is
rescue.bin, driver-1.bin, and driver-2.bin.  I suppose I could rename
one of the driver-?.bin files but that doesn't seem to me to be the
right thing to do.

In any case, step 6 on that page says to skipp the "install operating
system and modules", and I suppose that is mostly OK because I boot off
an uncompressed linux kernel on my HFS partition using BootX.  However,
I end up with no modules.

This might be the cause of my next problem - I want to install the
packages using my modem.  I installed the base system then rebooted.
When i configure PPP, and it tries to autodetect my modem port, my modem
lights do not blink and no modem is detected.  I can try out each of the
options for the serial port (/dev/ttyS0 to ttyS4) and nothing works.
Just guessing I tried /dev/modem too and that didn't work either.

So I am unable to configure PPP to dial out my modem.  What do I need to
do to make my modem port work?

It would be possible for me to put my modem on my PC running NT and
route through ethernet using WinRoute on the PC.  I succeeded in this
when I installed debian on my mac before, as I had the same problem with
my modem then.  But I am reluctant to try this because I have observed
that WinRoute corrupts data transmitted through it; I don't want to try
to download the many megabytes an OS install will require through buggy
router software.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Michael D. Crawford
crawford@goingware.com