Re: Sound problems

On 10 Oct 2001, John Goerzen wrote:

> I've got a tibook G4 running sid and benh's latest kernels.  I've
> loaded the dmasound_pmac module and it seems to be OK.  However I have
> lots of troubles making it work.  For instance, when KDE starts, it
> complains:
>
> Sound server fatal error:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> Can't set playform format(_format = 17, asked driver to give 16, got 32)

I have seen similar errors from artsd - it appparently doesn't wish to
obey the sound driver's request that it use a different (in this case,
big-endian) sample format. Someone should rattle the aRts developers'
cages over this.

> Playing from apps like videolan often results in a couple of seconds
> of very scratchy audio, followed by static, followed by silence.
> Mixers seems to have no effect once the silence appears (everything's
> muted).  I don't know what to try at this point.

I haven't tried VLC on anything, so I don't know about this. The
developers of VideoLan, however, probably aren't making their client obey
the driver's request for big-endian samples instead of little-endian
samples.

> dmasound_pmac: Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 1 Rev 3
> dmasound_pmac: found Keylargo rev 2 or later - H/W byte-swap disabled
> PowerMac Screamer  DMA sound driver rev 016 installed

I didn't know that the PowerBook G4 also used KeyLargo. Does the Screamer
chip in it support little-endian samples? Does anyone know?

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN