Re: does Yaboot really need first partition?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Christoph Bohle wrote:

> do i really have to put the bootstrap partition before the first mac-os
> partition?

Not strictly, but Ethan considers it a good idea, so that if your XPRAM
gets trashed, the OF boot partition search will find your bootstrap
partition first.

> i followed the "famous" instruction
>   http://www.xiph.org/~jack/ibook/instnotes.html
> and have a bootstrap partition after my mac-os partitions. it works for
> booting via open firmware (boot hd:11,\\yaboot). but it does not work
> automatically like it should.

What do you mean by that? What type did you set your bootstrap partition
as? It _must_ be of type 'Apple_Bootstrap', else MacOS will happily
unbless the bootscript that ybin generates and installs with the "magic"
creator ID, making it necessary to boot with the ',\\yaboot' appellation.

> i would prefer not to do all the mac-os installation again. so, is it
> possible to live with a bootstrap partition after the mac-os partition?
> is it (or will it be) possible to make such a bootstrap partition work
> normally?

Please read the mac-fdisk docs. There is a way to force mac-fdisk to
"reorder" the order of the partition entries in the partition table
itself, allowing your bootstrap partition to appear first in the table
(even though it doesn't appear first on the disk). Keep in mind that if
you do that, you'll have to fix your fstab and anything else that depends
on partition designations, because reordering in that fashion WILL change
their designations.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN