Re: Trouble getting airport to talk to UFO base station

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Brendan Simon wrote:

> I've got a Titanium Powerbook with airport card installed and an airport
> base station but I'm having trouble getting them to talk.

> eth1  IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"bren-wlan"  Nickname:"HERMES I"
>          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point:
> 44:44:44:44:44:44
>          Bit Rate=11Mb/s  Tx-Power=15 dBm  Sensitivity:1/3
>          Retry limit:4  RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
>          Encryption key:off
>          Power mangement:offf
>          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:-102 dBm  Noise level:-102 dBm
>          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0 invalid misc:0

Are you sure that the ESSID (network ID) is correct? I have an iBook with
an AirPort card in it, and I've had it on wireless more times than I can
count. If nothing else, try 'iwconfig eth1 essid any', which will make it
listen for any wireless network in range (andd then attach to its SSID).

> Do these look OK ?  I'm a little concerned at Access Point value and not
> sure about the RF parameters.

That just means it hasn't seen an access point. I'd pay more attention to
the signal levels, which are of course indicating nothing in range.

> How do I configure the base station ?
> It's connected to a PC running a DHCP server but I'm not sure if the
> base station is setup to use DHCP.

That doesn't even figure into thhe equation yet. Getting an IP address is
separate from getting the wireless network working, and you need to work
on that first.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN