Re: Messed up PowerMac 7200/90

> Hi,
>
> I inheritted a PowerMac today - no OS and set about installing Debian on it.
> Booted from floppies and installed from NFS.
>
> When the question "Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk'' came up
>     see sec7.17
> http://www.debian.org/releases/2.2/powerpc/ch-init-config.en.html
>
> I followed the instructions.
>     ``Execute a Shell'' and run:
>              nvsetenv `ofpath /dev/sda2`
>
> replacing sda2 with sda5 (main linux root partition)
>
> After hunting the mailing list I beleived I should type nvsetenv
> boot-device `ofpath /dev/sda5`
> So I did. I then followed the instructions to reboot.
>
> Now on restart the monitor goes into sleep/suspend mode.

I sounds like it might be crashing in Open Firmware. To see on the 7200, you
would need to hook up to another computer's serial port through the Mac's
modem port and watch in a terminal program while the mac boots.

But, quik does work on 7200's. So maybe the /target/etc/quik.conf needs to
be looked at (back in the installation system, in a shell). One of the
problems in the potato build was the quik.conf kernel path was pointing to a
symlink -- and quik can't read symlinks. So you might need to edit the link
to point to your actual kernel location and name.

If you are using potato now, you might also want to consider using woody's
3.0.14 installer instead. As I said last week, it rocks. Since you have most
of the install done already, you could just use it for the Make Bootable
step - it should work better.

> ctrl+apple+reset reboots the machine but I can't get any furher.
>
> I have tried ctrl+apple+p+r but that does nothing - (during power
> on/reboot...)
>
> I'm lost as to how to solve this - I'm new to macs but am fairly
> familiar with the prom from Sun machines.
>
> Could someone give me some pointers?
>
> I'm not on the list so please CC any responses to me.
>
> Regards,
>     /James

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |           Chris Tillman                              |
|   `-    |           tillman@azstarnet.com                      |