Re: obp-tftp tftp-retries

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:47:55PM -0700, pjordan@whitehorse.blackwire.com wrote:
> I have been given the opportunity to build a linux cluster
> out of a student lab with dual processor G4 machines.
>
> Since it is a student lab, the machines need to boot
> the default OS (macos9) if all else fails, but
> ideally boot linux when reset at night.
>
> To this end, I want the open firmware to boot using
> this command "boot enet:192.168.2.1,yaboot.hack"
> at night, but using "boot hd:\\:tbxi" by day.

why not put a Forth bootscript on the bootp server instead of yaboot,
either write it to check the current time (in UTC which you can get
from newwer OF) and make a choice, or else simply have two different
versions of the script, one that boots macos, and one that boots a
tftp yaboot, then use a cronjob to rotate them at the appropriate
times on the bootp server.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/