kernel 2.4.8-apus versus 2.4.8-powerpc? devfsd?

e|d£?when I use "apt-cache search kernel-image --name-only" I get a listing of several kernel-images. Could somebody tell me what the differences of the following images are:

kernel-image-2.4.8-apus or kernel-image-2.4.9-apus (does these kernels run on a powerpc?)
kernel-image-2.4.8-powerpc
kernel-image-2.4.8.powerpc-smp

Several weeks ago, I already asked something about woody kernels. In one answer there was the package (I suppose) devfsd mentioned and that it has to be installed too when a 2.4.x kernel is used. I read Richard Gooch's paper "Linux Devfs FAQ", but what he has written isn't easy to understand for a newbie. So I have to ask some questions:

(a) How can I find out if devfs is compiled into the kernel I am going to use (I won't compile a kernel by myself yet)? (b) When I install devfsd does devsfd modify the devfsd.conf file by itself so that my system will still run after a reboot? (c) In Richard's text I found the hint that devfsd only work with kernels 2.3.x or higher. If so, can I still use my kernel 2.2.19 and choose between version 2.2.19 and version 2.4.x on the "yaboot-level"?
(d) Is there a "devfsd-Howto" for newbies?

Some questions to understand my Debian system a little better:

(a) Why can I find the kernel-images with "apt-cache ..." but not with "find / -name 'kernel-image*'? (b) On the directory-level of root, lib, etc. I also find /vmlinux. Is /vmlinux a symbolic link to the kernel-image that I can find in the directory /boot? What is the advantage to use such a link? Is there any command to read the content of such a link?

Downloaden Sie MSN Explorer kostenlos unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp