Re: segfault in mozilla-browser-0.9.4-3 postinst

"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org> writes:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > > Advice is good, reasons are even better. Why shouldn't I run it as root?
> > Read Bugtraq.
>
> The best policy is to only use root for system administrative tasks
> that cannot be done by normal users.  To use the root account, log
> into a regular account and "su".  Do not run X, GNOME, and KDE as
> root.

Thanks Jeff, that was helpful. I thought I was running the risk of
damaging my machine becuase of some programming error in galeon.

I ran galeon as root to see if the issue was a permissions problem,
and since it worked, it seemed for root and not for any other
non-priveleged user, that seems to be the issue.

As advice to Ethan and Branden:

Instead of taking the 5 seconds it takes to make a pointless cryptic
reply, why not take the 30 seconds to include a URL, or slightly more
verbose one?

Otherwise, why bother?

Cheers,
jas.