Re: Can't get rid of postgresql

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 05:19:50PM -0700, Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Thing is, when I try to apt-get remove postgresql or dpkg -P
> postgresql, the script that runs before removal wants to start
> postmaster, and fails when it can't start.
>
> Can anyone provide any hints on how to get rid of a package that
> won't uninstall?
 Try this trick (but should get things done):
 put exit 0 just after #! line in /etc/init.d/postgresql (i assume that
preremoval script is using it to start postmaster)
 another way might be to have a look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/postgresql.*rm
and see what they are trying to do and help them in some way (like
commenting out those troublesome line)

 This might not be the smart way but should get things done.

--
 Robert Ramiega | jedi@plukwa.net  IRC: _Jedi_ | Do not underestimate
 UIN: 13201047  | http://www.plukwa.net/       | the power of  Source