Re: Difficulty installing woody OR potato on Beige G3

> Sorry to follow up my own post, but you know how it is...
>
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 09:37:03PM -0700, ozymandias G desiderata wrote:
>> In any case, I was able to get the base distribution installed via the
>> potato boot-floppies, leaving only the problem with the potato ofpath
>> not liking the beige 266's hardware tree. If I know which partition my
>> root is (/dev/hda2), could anybody maybe just tell me what the
>> appropriate goop to pass to nvsetenv is? Barring that, anyone have a
>> handy binary for ofpath that groks beige G3-land (in case your memory
>> needs refreshing, this particular problem last cropped up in a similar
>> thread in January -- I do try to use the archives)? I'll poke around,
>> but I'd sorta like to get this finished.
>
> I was able to extract a newer ofpath from the most recent yaboot deb
> and get it onto the semi-configured G3 in question. I then issued the
> command
>
> nvsetenv boot-device `./ofpath /dev/hda2`

ofpath /dev/hda2

should give you an OF 'path'. You could also try to figure out the path
within OF... from the OF prompt, do

0 > devalias

to get a list of device aliases for your machine,

0 > dev / ls

for a list of hardware recognized by OF,

0 > dev /path/to/device
0 > words

to check if the device is bootable -- 'open' should be in the list.

This all shamelessly stolen from the netbsd installation manual.

I have a 3.0.7 and 3.0.10 ppc b-f hanging around if you need one.

|  .''`.  | Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>            |
| : :'  : | debian-imac:    <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net> |
| `. `'`  |      . oo       Chris Tillman                        |
|   `-    |     (   -)      tillman@azstarnet.com                |