Re: A couple of more issues...

on 9/4/01 12:24 PM, Michel Dänzer at michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch wrote:

> Laurent de Segur wrote:
>>
>> I got my XF86Config-4 file from someone who's got the same iBook 2001. When
>> I do a startx, the error message I get is: no screens found. The log stated
>> that Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration (!) I checked that
>> my screen was set correctly for this machine and it seems like it. FYI, I
>> run the xfree86 from Woody (4.0.3). Has anyone with a similar machine ran
>> into that problem?
>
> Yes, almost everyone for whom it doesn't work. ;)
>
> That's a generic error which can be caused by a myriad of problems. Looking
> carefully at /var/log/XFree86.0.log might reveal the cause. One common problem
> is that you have to provide a bus ID.

Actually, I did. Here is my device setup:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card 1"
    Driver      "r128"
    VideoRam    8192
    BusID    "PCI:0:16:0"
    Option    "UseFBDev" "true"
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

lspci will show that

00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)

So this should work but it doesn't.

My next step if I can't find the problem with 4.0.3 is to go to 4.1 (I
believe that sid includes xfree86 4.1.x) but I'd rather have it working now
the way it is.

If someone has any suggestion, I really appreciate.
Thanks,

Laurent