Re: Installation problem on New World G4

----- Original Message -----
From: Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu>
To: <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: Installation problem on New World G4

> Doug <doug@zerolimits.com> writes:
>
> > I am working on installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 "Potato" -
> > Official powerpc Binary-1 CD on a new world G4.  As far as I can
> > tell, I have the base system installed correctly and used mkofboot
> > to configure the booting properly.  I am unable to get the system to
> > do an initial boot so I can finish the package installation.
> >
> > It begins booting, and gets as far as finding the USB keyboard and
> > mouse and then it just hangs.  If I unplug the keyboard and mouse,
> > then it gets as far as: Freeing unused kernel memory: 168k init 28k
> > prep
>
> Weird.  This seems like a kernel problem.  Is it repeatable?  If so,
> the only thing I can suggest is to try the woody boot-floppies, which
> might have a newer kernel...

hmmm... remembers me on my problems installing the same version on my
g4/400-pci...

i came only to the same point on booting in uncountable trials, but after
freeing the kernel memory errors as unresolved symbols in libc.so.6 were
reported and system hangs...
it looks like problems with filesystem corruption or caching or ram
problems, but last aren't possible on my opinion because os9.1 works fine in
this configuration...
at this time i didn't found any solutions for this problem, booting woody
floppies isn't possible because of the missing controller in g4... i'll try
to get a ls120 drive and hope it will boot... or try to get a zip100 ready
to boot woody... with 64kbit isdn it isn't usefull to download cd-images....

so i'm searching for someone in germany to send me a cd-set of woody!!!!

titus