Re: PCMCIA (was: Re: BenH TiBook kernels @ debian.jones.dk)

Hi all,

On   8 Aug, this message from Bradley C. Midgley echoed through cyberspace:
> shouldn't pcmcia-cs tell you these settings need to be fixed during its
> install or figure the ranges itself?

In theory, probably. I would guess that for PCI-attached PCMCIA bridges
(i.e CardBus, i.e everything else than old ISA-style bridges) one should
be able to read the IO and mem ranges from the CardBus bridge config
space. However, you'd need to read the specs to be sure...

> could the lspci output be parsed by the install script?

It can be read directly from /proc/bus/pci/.

> hmm. maybe my config, although working, isn't optimal. using a bronze g3
> and the ranges came from the pcmcia-cs faq.
>
>  $ lspci -v
> 00:13.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1211
> 	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 22
> 	Memory at 80880000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> 	Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=176
> 	Memory window 0: fd000000-fd3ff000 (prefetchable)
> 	Memory window 1: 80000000-803ff000
> 	I/O window 0: 00001000-000010ff
> 	I/O window 1: 00001400-000014ff
> 	16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
>  $ cat /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
> include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x1000-0x17ff
> include memory 0x80000000-0x80ffffff

Yeah, these things really are different from machine to machine; there
is no standard. In theory, can even be different between different
configs of the same machine, like when there are more or less devices on
the PCI bus at bootup time (which is never the case for notebooks; but
could be in the case of PCMCIA controllers in desktop machines).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |