Strange HFS/cdrom interaction hoses clock!!

This post is mostly an advisory issued in the faint hope that somebody
kernel hackery might go "oh yeah, I know why that happened" and fix it, or
failing that that others may avoid my tale of terror...

The usual info: TiBook 400/256 MB, running BenH 2.4.6, libc6 2.2.3-5

Anyway, somebody handed me a HFS formatted CD-ROM today, as the office I
was working in had no computers capable of reading it, and I happily
popped it in the drive and typed:

mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /cdrom

and it seemed to mount nicely and I could go look list the files on
it.  Let me say at this point that I have recently used an ISO9660 CD-ROM
and browsed an read files from it with no trouble.

Anyway, shortly there after, I suddenly noticed that my system was acting
very strangely, like anything needing disk access was hanging (although
processes continued to run otherwise) so I switched from X to console, and
saw a message advising me something along the lines of "interrupt: hda not
ready".  As more and more stuff hung, ultimately I was reduced to poking
the reset button on the back of the machine.

Then beeng the glutten for punishment that I am (and not having connected
my incident with mounting the CD), I booted back up, remounted the CD, and
the exact same behavior happened again!

I should also point out that I have an HFS partition on my harddrive that
I frequently use to swap files with MacOS.  I know HFS drivers are
suspect, but I have never had a problem accessing this partition.  I do
try to stick to the hopefully "safe" operation of just copying files back
and forth, and avoid things like rm's and mv's

So after figuring out that mounting the HFS CD-ROM was somehow causing me
to lose access to my internal harddrive, I stopped doing that, but then
discovered the even odder left over symptom that now everytime I boot into
linux, the hardware clock gets set to Jul 15th, 1933.  I've zapped PRAM,
booted into MacOS, synced with a network time server, shut down the
machine, rebooted into MacOS, all fine, boot into linux, back to swing
years...

Any idea how I can convince linux that it is once again the 21st century?

-wilhelm