Re: Slightly newer airport sleep bits for pmud

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 04:56:06PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> Peter Cordes wrote:

> > > Thanks, can you please elaborate on the time frame? :)
> >
> >  I thought the "time" frame was just that the module hadn't been used
> > again since the last rmmod -a.  This is like a second-chance paging
> > algorithm that pages out pages that haven't been used between runs of
> > the page-marker.  (I think this is how it works, and that there's no
> > wall-clock time involved here.)
>
> Okay, so what would be a good tradeoff between having unused modules removed
> automatically and not cluttering the log too much?

 Most people don't bother ever unloading modules.  It's not like they
use up a lot of memory, either.  On an old system like my laptop with
only 20MB of RAM, unloading modules that aren't in use could make a
difference.  If you've got 64MB or more, then it's not worth it unless
you very occasionally use some big modules.

 If you do want to autoclean your modules, use cron to run rmmod -a.
Otherwise, leave things the way they are.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y