Re: Postgresql

Russell Hires <rhires@earthlink.net> writes:

> I checked through that group of postings (after you mentioned this,
> I should have checked first), and very little of it actually
> revolved around postgresql, that I could tell. They were related,
> but not about the actual Subject: line.

Well, they talked about the state of non-US for powerpc, so it was
relevant.

> I downloaded the 7.1.2 package source and related files, but now I
> can't even compile it. The error message I get (by taking the easy
> way out) when I do the "debian/rules binary" is : checking for
> CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto... no configure: error: library
> 'crypto' is required for OpenSSL make: *** [config.cache] Error 1

You need openssl (more specifically the libssl-dev package), I
believe.  I don't know if it's in woody yet.

> I've tried various methods of getting the 'crypto' library
> installed, and none of them worked. I've found that the 'crypto'
> library is variously three different libs, or one.

The Build-Depends: for postgresql include libssl-dev, so that's the
one you want.

> Interestingly, if I do "debian/rules binary" again, I get a
> different error message:

I'd use "dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc", as it runs "debian/rules clean"
first for you, too (and not doing this is probably why multiple
invocations of debian/rules binary behave differently)

> Of course, getting perl5 (which 'apt-get install perl5' or '5.6'
> calls 'perl' and 'perl5-base') isn't working, either, because I've
> got the newest version, but for some reason doesn't work when I'm
> compiling from (dsc) source.

Weird.  Without knowing more about the problem, I couldn't say
anything about it.

> What fun this is!

Such is life with Debian unstable, or even testing.