Re: mozilla - 5 processes using 149Mb

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 10:29:38PM +1200, Alan Macdougall wrote:

> I'm still confused, even after RTFM (very old-skool). There's obviously
> no hope. :-)

read the mozilla FAQ.  people only ask this question every time they
look at some linux process viewer and not understand what they are
looking at.

> The Gnome System Monitor help docs say: "No two processes will have the
> same number." Therefore my assumption that the five lines I was seeing
> in gtop were separate processes was perhaps reasonable, given that they
> all had different PIDs.  Threads are not mentioned.

does not change the fact that these are threads not separate
processes.

> Further, the memory usage panel (set to show resident memory) seemed to
> be adding the resident memory totals for these threads together to come
> up with the 149Mb figure. This absurdly high figure seemed to be borne
> out by the incredible disk thrashing that occurred whenever I used
> Mozilla for just a short time.

that tool is broken then, or you don't understand its output.  mozilla
is NOT taking 149MB of ram.  its taking 29.

> Anyway, the bottom line is that on my machine, Mozilla is unusably slow.
> Are there any lighter alternatives around?

w3m

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/