Re: Just how stable IS Debian PPC

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 07:48:51PM -0600, Patrick Klee wrote:
>     I am getting Debian PPC, from a guy on the net, but I was wondering how
> stable is it?

> does this mean I might need the open
> firmware update before I get debian?  My computer was bought in summer of
> 2000.

I don't think you need the recent open firmware update for Debian.

For a relative Linux tyro like me, the Debian PPC learning curve on the
install and configuration was a bit flat (particularly for a laptop
install). Partition scheme, yaboot config, and some of the GNOME/KDE package
dependencies, among others.

That being said, it's a terrific Debian version once you get things nailed
down. I wasn't sure what to expect vs. my experience with the x86 Debian,
but I'm impressed. You Deb PPC folks rock.

Steve