Re: Migrating a pismo to a journalling filesystem

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:30:31AM -0500, Brian Hicks wrote:
> I have 2 questions:
>
> One:  How would I migrate my pismo to a journalling filesystem.  I'm not
> up to date on the current install images, can I just reinstall with a
> newer CD and magically put root on a non ext2 filesystem?

cvs boot-floppies (and 2.3.5) have some support for installing on
reiser, but it still looks a bit hackish and preliminary.  also i can
say that there are no reiserfsprogs on the rootdisk right now.

your probably better off leaving your root partition small, and ext2
(so you can boot, yaboot doesn't support anything but ext2 right
now. (yes i know about the unofficial reiser patch, it needs testing
first)).  then if you create the rest of your partitions strategecly
you can backup say /var to /home, mkxfs /dev/var, recopy /var back,
then do the same with /usr and such.

> Two:  XFS or Reiser?

i would go for xfs, but personally i would wait a bit, let them
stabelize a bit more (especially if you go reiser, its still very
buggy).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/