Re: Upgrade Problem

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 09:43:16AM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> I think I've read the partition howto, I just hate making the decisions
> myself about how big each one should be. How big should I make /var, or
> /usr? That's what I'm asking, really...I never feel like I know what's
> good.

i make /var 1GB, that allows for a large apt package cache.  /usr i
make 4GB if i can.  that allows for a fairly bloated system.

also make a 50 to 60MB /tmp, 1GB /var, 4GB /usr and rest to /home you
should be fine.

of course that depends on how much space you have available...

> > is this a NewWorld or Oldworld box?
>
> Ehh... it's Oldworld. A G3/266 standard everything except for my Voodoo3
> video card. I had a heck of a time getting X to work. Upgrading to
> XFree86 4.1 is what started my off on this kick. Something broke...(see
> beginning of this thread :-)

ah ok, well if you run Apple's system disk control panel first the new
Make System Bootable might make it actually boot from quik.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/