2.4 Kernel Upgrade

Well, I finally got my 2.4 kernel to compile, using BenH's tree, rsync'd
and all. But then try to boot using it? Didn't work. What sorts of
details do I need to provide? Are there any "gotchas" I should know
about?

I'm using woody, with a modified 2.2.18 kernel that includes a patch for
my Voodoo3 card (that I got from linuxppc.org), and I'm using the new
input layer for my mouse. I know that potato requires a little tweaking
to use the 2.4, but I didn't think woody did. I boot using BootX because
I have a Beige G3/266, running Mac OS 8.6. Currently I've got the extra
arguments set at video=tdfx:1024x768-8@60, and I compiled 3dfx into the
2.4 kernel. When I start up with this setting (using the 2.4), I get the
most interesting color scheme, and I can't read any of the console
messages. If I remove the arguments, I get a completely blank screen
(and therefore I can't read the console, either :-)

Any ideas how to get 2.4 kernel working?

Thanks!

Russell
Without sharing, there would be no Internet
Without the Internet, there would be no sharing
Share your code, share your source
-- Let's build something as great as the Internet!