Re: pcmcia ethernet?

hello,

> repairs are expensive for these things (g3/333 bronze) so i was hoping to
> use a pcmcia ethernet card. i installed the pcmcia_cs package and made
> modules from the 2.4.3 kernel for pcmcia ethernet but my machine hangs
> when i plug in a card (3com megahertz 3cce574bt but i could easily get a
> different card)
there is some pcmcia config file in /etc and in /etc/pcmcia that
requires a bit of tweaking. Actually I did not succesfully try PCMCIA
on a 2.4.x yet, but on 2.2.x it works pretty well.

parameters that require tweaking:
- I/O range, is defined in /etc/pcmcia/config (or config.opts ?)
see the doku that came with the pcmcia_cs package, there they say
that for PowerPC machines you need to redefine the I/O range to
something like 0x80000000-0x80ffffff or so
- chipset type: the kernel hangs rather badly if it tries to initialize
a PCMCIA controller using the wrong chipset.

I'm afraid I can't give you the correct file locations and parameters
now, since my Powerbook is rather far; but as a hint it should do.
If you require the detail stuff, write me again.

PS: as a network card, I'm using an Abocom FE1000, being basically
a 10/100Mbps NE2000 clone. It works, but not too perfectly: only
when power cable is attached, and only in the upper PCMCIA slot,
and it eventually requires multiple /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart to get
it up and working. (As seen on my Powerbook 2400c)

bye
Philipp Kaeser / furball@space.ch