Re: p-server 640 debian install questions

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 07:26:58PM -0400, Rahul Jain wrote:

> I have a p-server 640 at work that I'm trying to install debian on.
> It _seems_ to be CHRP, but OF has info about prep too, so I don't know...
>
> The hardware:
> 2 375 MHz POWER3 CPUs
> an eepro100 connected to the network
> a matrox g200
> 2 18GB SCSI hard disks
> a SCSI CDROM drive
> _no_ floppy drive
>
> The current software:
> SuSE 7.1 booting via yaboot (installed with lilo??)

lilo in this case is suse's reinvention of ybin.  ybin supports the
raw bootstrap partition chrp machines use, read the man page.

> The desired software:
> debian unstable running kernel 2.4.5(-xfs)
>
> The problem:
> I can't figure out how to get it to boot off the debian cdrom.
> at the of prompt, I've tried:
> setenv boot-device cdrom  (cdrom is in devalias as /pci@.../scsi@11/sd@0,1 or
>                            some such)
> setenv boot-image /install/chrp/linux (also tried prep)
> boot
>
> I get something like "no valid PReP image found". Am I supposed to use a
> boot-image of \\yaboot?

\\yaboot is a Mac specific hack, it won't work on non-apple OF.  a
yaboot binary is at /install/powermac/yaboot

im not sure if it works on non-macs the way its compiled though.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/