Re: potato r3

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 01:47:06AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
>
> > did you run the `Install Operating System kernel and modules' step
> > in dbootstrap?  (before the base install) thats when the kernel is
> > installed.  i just did a potato r3 installation a week ago and did
> > not have a problem with lack of kernel.
>
> Yeah, I'm almost positive I did (could I have really avoided it?).

yes, there is nothing in dbootstrap preventing you from skipping that
step, ive done it before, all it breaks is Make System Bootable, and
well booting ;-)

> But, I just had to do another reinstall, and /boot did have the kernel
> in it.  However, I still wasn't able to boot directly, despite the
> fact that /boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 existed.  I think this might be because
> I made /boot a separate partition (I plan to move to XFS soon), and
> the default ybin setup thought the kernels would be on my /
> filesystem?  I understand this is a tricky case.

you just need to run ybin differently, fortunatly this is fixed in
woody boot floppies ;-)  just run `Make System Bootable' and it "Just Works".

but for your sake, here is the command:

mkofboot -f -b /dev/Apple_Bootstrap -m /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot \
	--root /dev/root --partition </boot#>

you then need to make a /target/boot/vmlinux -> vmlinux-2.2.19
symlink.  it should work then.

actually you should probably install with woody boot-floppies from
time to time anyway since you should be qualified to test them
properly ;-)

> I think it makes sense to make video=ofonly the default for the CD
> (assuming there will be a potato r4).  And, since (for potato) users
> already have to frob their /etc/yaboot.conf after installation
> anyways, so I don't see the disadvantage in adding it to the default
> append=, possibly with a comment explaining when it's needed.

it appears there will be a potato r4, if anything to merge security
fixes.  modifying the default /etc/yaboot.conf requires a new potato
yaboot package, thats up to Dan.  but i tend to think that should just
be a rtfm issue...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/