Re: XFree86 4.1.0: call for help

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Anton Blanchard wrote:
>
> > > - r128 doesn't work without UseFBDev at least on Pismos (I suspect all
> > > UniNorth Macs) because we're now trying to do ISA I/O with the help of a
> > > new system call, but the server crashes. It works fine on those machines
> > > without it, so what would we lose by disabling it in r128 #ifdef
> > > __powerpc__ ? Or what would be a better way to determine if it should be
> > > used or not?
> >
> > What system call is this?
>
> __NR_pciconfig_iobase
>
> Another approach might be to make it only return an ioBase for known working
> configurations, is that feasible?

We need a way to use multiple ioBases from inside xfree to fix the problem.
The best solution will be to disable ISA I/O for now and get a better fix
later on.

#ifdef __powerpc__ shouldn't be used inside the driver (at least in this
case) Its a Linux/ppc problem there is no need to criple the other ppc
platforms.

> > Do you know if the patch by davem to make X mmap("/proc/bus/pci/...") has
> > made it into 4.1.0? It makes life a lot easier for people with non
> > transparent PCI buses (at the moment I hardwire the offsets in for my
> > RS6000s).
>
> Possible, I see a number of PCI patches where he was involved, however they're
> all for SPARC and I'm afraid it's too late to adapt it for PPC for 4.1.0 .

Hmm i'll take a look at this patches, but i doubt that they will help with
the ISA I/O problem unless we change the way inb/outb work in the Xserver.

btw mmap("/proc/bus/pci/...") was added around 2.4.4 right ?

 Kostas