debian network install via PCMCIA?

I'm trying to install debian potato powerpc on a 2400c (603ev/180). This powerbook doesn't have any built-in networking: just the PCMCIA slots. I use a Farallon 10BaseT card and a Lucent WaveLAN card.

Anyway, I can boot into the debian installer without a problem, using the debian linux file as the BootX kernel and root.bin as ramdisk (both from the potato powermac subdir). But I get a generic error when I try to start the PCMCIA software for a network install. I also get the same error when using the debian ramdisk.img.gz file as the ramdisk.

I decided to complete the phase-1 installation via an HFS tree that looks like

transfer:debian:dists:potato:main:disks-powerpc:current:

|-- base2_2.tgz
|-- powermac
    |-- drivers.tgz
    |-- linux
    |-- images-1.44
        |-- rescue.bin
        |-- root.bin

(Hopefully that'll help someone else, since I found the debian install guide a little sparse on setting up an HFS/BootX installation environment).

But after rebooting from the phase-1 install, I still can't get PCMCIA to work. Running /etc/init.d/pcmcia start results in a page-full of missing symbol errors: this makes me think that the install kernel is missing some shims for PCMCIA, or that the potato PCMCIA modules are simply corrupt.

Note that I have PCMCIA working fine on my LinuxPPC root partition. I've tried copying over the working PCMCIA modules from that partition, and using my LinuxPPC-2kQ4 kernel with debian, but I get a kernel panic when PCMCIA tries to load. Perhaps because LinuxPPC-2kQ4 uses the new input layer?

Anyway, if anyone has ideas about how to get PCMCIA working well enough to finish my install of debian via the network, I'd love to hear them.

Or is there a way to download a powerpc CD image? Mirroring an install server looks like it's just too much bandwidth to be practical....

thanks,
-- Mike