Re: manual install

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:50:24AM -0500, Andrew D Dixon wrote:
> That's consistent with what I've found so far.  I can boot the box into single user
> mode but it'll hang trying to initialize inetd if I try a normal boot.  The network is
> broken when I do get the box up so I'm guessing that that's where the problem lies.
>
> I've gotten the /proc and / filesystems in /etc/fstab and they mount without a problem
> and look OK.  I am a little unsure as to how to get the swap partition activated.  I
> can't find where swapon is called in the init scripts but I'll try putting an entry in
> /etc/fstab for it and see what happens.

yeti:~$ grep swapon -r /etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/checkroot.sh:if [ -x /sbin/swapon ]
/etc/init.d/checkroot.sh:       swapon -a 2> /dev/null
/etc/init.d/mountall.sh:# Execute swapon command again, in case we want to swap to
/etc/init.d/mountall.sh:grep -qs resync /proc/mdstat || swapon -a 2> /dev/null

 I hope you've got a "normal" Debian system to compare with?  Manually
installing would not be a good way to learn Debian for the first time...

 BTW, the base system includes some stuff for configuring itself, so if you
get the right directories mounted, etc..  Notice the start of /etc/init.d/rcS:

#
#       See if system needs to be setup. This is ONLY meant to
#       be used for the initial setup after a fresh installation!
#
if [ -x /sbin/unconfigured.sh ]
then
  /sbin/unconfigured.sh