Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On Tue, 15 May 2001, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 03:15:14PM +0100, Alan Buxey wrote:
> > > Don't you need some part of AmigaOS to make a floppy bootable?
> >
> > no, and yes.  Under AmigaOS you run 'install df0:' but this doesnt
> > put any files onto the disk as such, it just writes a bootblock
> > (a few hundred bytes) to the floppy. Theres no reason why we couldnt have
> > an AmigaOS bootblock and write it to disk with 'dd'

But the bootblock is code. Of course we can reverse engineer and clean room
reimplement one (IIRC it justs opens dos.library and returns 1 or 0).

> but you do get access to the CLI if i remember well, isn't it ?

Yep. But it's quite useless without real commands on the disk :-)

> > theres no issue of copyright with bootable floppies. PD software has been
> > on such things for years.  I guess as a last resort we can create a
> > bootable emegency floppy, compact it into ADF format and then it can go
> > onto the CD - and users can make it themselves from under AmigaOS with
> > transADF and the like?
>
> why not a plain gzipped tarball or lha archive ?

Because it's easier to mess up things with tar/lha than with ADF or DMS?
Alternatively, let them use gunzip and dd :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds