Re: Audio CDs on Titanium G4 Powerbook

Hi all,

On   9 May, this message from Michael Schmitz echoed through cyberspace:
>> > hdx=scsi is necessary to let cdparanoia or other tools access the audio
>> > data on the device (though you'd think that it should be possible using
>> > IDE ATAPI commands directly). Without a conextion from the CD audio out to
>>
>> Are you talking about the TiPB or PowerPC/PowerMacs in general ?
>
> The new Powerbooks and the cube, of course. Earlier versions had sane CD
> audio support.

FWIW, if you look at /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info, there is a point about
audio (on my TiBook):

mlan@pooh:~$ cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.12 2000/10/18
Can play audio:         0

So obviously the CDROM driver believes this thing can't play audio CDs.
I would say this means this speific DVD player _lacks_ audio hardware,
i.e. it doesn't have any D/A-converters and the rest of the required
stuff. Which means that it's not just a matter of adding a cable to get
'direct' audio...

On the other hand, this info might explain why some audio apps refuse to
play from IDE, but do so from SCSI emulation: if SCSI doesn't provide
this 'audio isn't' info, and the app in questions checks that bit....

I've searched a bit about data sheets for the SR-8187 in the TiBook, but
found nothing...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |