Re: Audio CDs on Titanium G4 Powerbook

> > 2) you must pass the argument "hdc=scsi" to the kernel on boot to make
> >    the ide-scsi package sense the drive and install a driver for
> >    it. i'm not sure how it works if you've compiled ide-scsi as a module,
> >    maybe you can insmod it with this argument (?). if your
> >    dvdrom/cdrom shows up as a different hd (a,b,d, whatever; check
> >    dmesg), you need to use that name in the kernel argument.
>
> Does anyone have a moment to explain exactly why this makes it work?

Which part - the module problem or the hdx=scsi? The former: without a
module option the IDE cdrom code will claim the device, and the ide-scsi
driver can't use it.

hdx=scsi is necessary to let cdparanoia or other tools access the audio
data on the device (though you'd think that it should be possible using
IDE ATAPI commands directly). Without a conextion from the CD audio out to
the sound hardware, that's your only option (I'm not sure there really
isn't any connection, maybe we just don't know how to control the mixer
input for it yet, Closed hardware).

That's what I gathered from various postings mostly on the G4 cubes. Might
be totally off base.

	Michael