HFS partition not recognized?

Here's a newbie question.

  I have an HFS partition with MacOS 8.5 on it.  The /current/powermac
directory is located on the HFS partition as just powermac/.  When I select
harddisk as my medium for installation, it prompts me for the partition
where the archive resides (/dev/sda9: HFS is selected).  It doesn't find the
archive if I select the "list" option.  Selecting manual has a line
including /instmnt.  Browsing returns "directory /instmnt does not exist."
Can anyone steer me in the right direction?  Thanks.

dm