Re: Cannot boot anymore

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 05:49:41PM +0200, franck routier wrote:
> Ok, I found the problem by myself.
>
> I have been quite stupid and copied zImage from arch/powerpc... to
> /boot/vmlinux, instead of copying vmlinux itself...
>
> I was able to boot again on potato cd by booting directly in of (no after
> yaboot failed) then updated yaboot.conf to my old kernel, ybin, and it
> worked.

this is a prime example of why you should take some old school lilo
practice and use it:

in /etc/yaboot.conf:

[global crap snipped]
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinux
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hda3
	read-only

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
	label=linux.old
	root=/dev/hda3
	read-only

then in /boot you have two symlinks, vmlinux and vmlinux.old.  when
you upgrade your kernel and install it at /boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 you mv
your current /boot/vmlinux -> /boot/vmlinux-2.2.18 symlink to
vmlinux.old, and create a new vmlinux symlink pointing to
/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19.

this way if you screwed up your kernel config and your new ones fails
to boot you just enter `linux.old' at the boot: prompt and get your
old kernel.  this is always critical with lilo since it can only boot
images it knew about the last time you ran /sbin/lilo.  yaboot on the
other hand (with versions later then 0.9) boot arbitary images not
defined in /etc/yaboot.conf at all:

boot: hd:3,/boot/vmlinux.good root=/dev/hda3 ro

which will boot vmlinux.good from /dev/hda3 using /dev/hda3 as root.

kernel-package will also take care of rotating symlinks for you.
another advantage you using symlinks is you don't have to rerun ybin
when you change kernels, just repoint the symlink, /etc/yaboot.conf
doesn't have to change.

> I can now run X !!
> I only miss the trick to emulate 3 button on my single button mac
> trackpad...

sysctl -a | grep mac_hid

man sysctl.conf

--