Re: Cannot boot anymore

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 11:44:59AM +0200, franck routier wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm stucked in of again :-(
>
> I managed to install potato, upgraded to sid, rsynced benh kernel, compiled
> it, copied zImage to /boot/vmlinux-2.4.3 (I couldn't make bzImage, only
             ^^^^^^

that is why,  yaboot does not support anything but plain uncompressed
ELF vmlinux kernels.  such as the one in the root of the kernel source
tree after compilation.  none of the images in arch/ppc/boot will work
with yaboot (or a newworld).

bzImage is a kludge workaround for the broken x86 archetecture, its
not relevant for anything but x86.  zImage is useful on some powerpc
sub-archs, the coff image is bootable directly from OF on oldworlds
for example.

> zImage, don't know why), changed /etc/yaboot.conf accordingly, ran ybin,
> rebooted... and I now got this message :

> 	Elf32 kernel loaded...
>
> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at $SRR0: 014000c $SRR1: 0003030
>
> then I get the open firmware prompt.
>
> If I try to boot from potato cd with '0> boot cd:,\\yaboot', I get :

> CLAIN failed
> ok

yes, you can only load yaboot once, once its loaded you must reboot if
it dies.  this is actually fixable im looking into it.

> What did I wrong, and how can I get out of this dire strait ...?

use kernel-package to build kernel .debs it makes this much simpler
and harder to screw up.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/