Install on PBG3 pismo

Hi,

I'm trying to install potato on my Powerbook G3 pismo.

Today I got some friends to burn the iso CDs but there seems to be a problem with CD 1. CD 2 & 3 mount ok in MacOS (9.0.4) but MacOS tries to initialize CD1.

Thinking that the burn was a problem I looked at it on a linux box and it mounts fine with everything that is meant to be there.

I have booted into Open Firmware and tried:
boot cd:\\yaboot and
boot cd:,\\yaboot (not sure about the , but it shows up on some howtos)

The first time I got "Bad Read"
then it seemed to read the disk and went black followed by a little MacOS splash and then booted into MacOS.
Now when I try this I get "unknown word".

Hmm.

BTW I have not set up the partitions yet - if that is the problem then it should correct itself. Maybe there was a problem with the burn and I'll do it again - but it is strange that it all looks good from linux.

Is there some secret to burning disk 1?

My other question is regarding partitioning. I am planning to run OS X as well in the not too distant future so when I use the MacOS cd disk utility to partition I'll be doing (6Gb HD)

2 GB for MacOS 9 (HFS+)
2 GB placeholder for Debian
1.5 GB placeholder for MacOS X (Apple_UFS)

I'm then expecting to boot debian from the CD and install into the 2 Gb - putting in 100 MB exchange, 50Mb root, 125 mb swap and 1.5 mb for usr, var etc.

Any help appreciated.  Cross-posted to comp.os.linux/powerppc

cheers
deeraeya