Re: Quicktime movies

Ethan Benson wrote:

> but if the macosx quicktime is carbon that might not work, and since
> it probably uses proprietary apple windowing system calls it would
> never work on X.  (unless you managed to make a shim for the entire
> windowing system as well)

Well, if the Apple folks put Quartz calls in the codec, they probably have a
pretty poor design anyway. My guess is that it *WOULD* be trivial if you had
the source code and Apple approval to port it to Linux. Mac OSX shows that
Apple doesn't want to play with Linux, since I feel that it would have been
better for Apple to use Linux as the core OS and have ported the Quartz layer
to run on Linux to make a better Linux...but the Rhapsody roots were
entrenched in not only the code, but the minds of the Apple folks like Jobs,
IMO, who seems to insist that the mach kernel is the answer, and the cube
design will be popular (maybe he'll go for a 3rd failure in the marketplace
with another cube design!;-).

> the better way is to demand Open and Free standards, get the authors
> of these movies to use an Open format which we can use and to avoid
> sorenson and all other proprietary formats.

Couldn't agree with you more. In fact, to me Apple's APSL for Darwin is just a
way for them to "cheat" at open source.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.