Re: newbie trying to install debian linux on oldworld mac

John, here are some links that may prove useful for you:

http://linuxppc.org/documentation/bootx/index.php3?css_ok=1

http://linuxppc.org/documentation/userguide/index.php3?css_ok=1

Although this site is talking about LinuxPPC (which I also do not recommend - from experience) their documentation is by far their greatest asset and for getting started on old world Macs has proven useful to me in the past.

The user guide covers, in reasonable depth, partitioning, getting bootx working (what all the options mean) and everything right up to the actual installation of Linux is mostly identical between Debian/LinuxPPC.

The only difference that comes to mind is the location of Bootx, Ramdisk and kernel images on the CD. If you have trouble working out which files are appropriate we can help you out here. This should be enough to get yoi going :)

--

Cheers,
      Craige.