Re: Help with X on iBook?

Kin Chung wrote:

> >Depth 24 is 32 bit by default.
>
> Yeah, I know, but XF86Config does not seem to.  Tell it
> DefaultColorDepth 32
> and it complains (may be some new policy about colour depth).

Exactly. It's called 'consistency'. ;) There is no depth 32 currently (because
only 24 bits are actually used) but the default for depth 24 is 32 bpp for the
r128 driver.

> >Option "UseFBDev" for the r128 driver has nothing to do with the
> >fbdev driver and doesn't affect acceleration or any other feature
> >of the r128 driver.
>
> I believe you mentioned this before.

Yeah, that's why I was surprised that you still seemed to confuse them. Sorry
(or rather glad) if you didn't.

> It does not work with my iBook though.  Refuses to start and complains about
> there not being any suitable screens :-(. It does, however, work perfectly
> without this option, strange as it may seem.

Seemed strange indeed. So I just looked at the source again and saw that I had
forgotten something. "UseFBDev" only works if you specify the bus ID in the
Device Section, like

    BusID	"PCI:0:16:0"

> >Stock XFree86's r128 driver kills all Mac notebooks if used
> >without either the "UseFBDev" or "ProgramFPRegs" "No" options
> >or the "PanelWidth" and "PanelHeight" options together.
>
> Well, I checked the release date on my XFree86, it was 19 Dec 2000.
> That release works perfectly with my machine

You're lucky then. For the longest time we thought it wouldn't work without
"UseFBDev" at all.

> provided I give it a decent modeline.

I don't understand why you need a modeline at all. But there's no point in
arguing over that of course. ;)

> It does not work any better with the "UseFBDev" or "ProgramFPRegs" "No"
> options, and fails to work altogether with the "UseFBDev" option.

You said in an earlier post that "ProgramFPRegs" "No" killed the display, is
that no longer true?